Mar 10, 2012

311

It's been a year from the disaster in the northeastern part of Japan.
A lot of lives were lost.  And still a lot of people are suffering.

I would like to share a poem written by a mother in Fukushima a couple of months ago.
(the translation is done by me.)

***

What it is to live in Fukushima.

What it is to live in Fukushima myself.

What it is to live in Fukushima for me.

The fact that I cannot take a deep breath after I wake up.

The fact that I cannot put my clothes out side to dry in the sun.

The fact that I have to throw away the vegetables from our garden.

The fact my heart aches when I see my daughter put her mask and dosimeter without me saying anything.

The fact that I cannot touch this white snow.

The fact that I have to feel a slight frustration whenever I hear "Fukushima will my best (GANBAROU FUKUSHIMA)"

The fact that my breath is shallow imperceptibly.

The fact that whenever I tell people that I live in Fukushima, I am explaining that "But there is less radioactivity where I live" without being asked.

The fact that there are two different FUKUSHIMAs.

The anger that occurs to me when people tell me to stay in Fukushima and when people tell me to leave.

The fact that I get worried if my 6-year-old daughter will ever be able to get married.

The fact that I want to give up the responsibility of choosing to live in Fukushima.

The fact that I face the reality every morning that we stand on ice-thin "safety" based on someone's sacrifice and effort.

The fact that I think of leaving here every night.

The fact that I still hope and pray that we could live together in this house. 

To pray for my daughter's health and happiness.

Still the black smoke is not getting out of my mind.

Even though we still live happy somehow and we want someone to understand that.

To get angry everyday.

To pray every single day.

I do not want to speak on behalf of Fukushima.  
This is what it is to live in Fukushima for me, just for me.
Today is the 10th month for Fukushima.

***

What can we do about it?
What can I do about it?

What I will do is to send out the messages. 
No more Fukushima.
No more Chernobyl.
No more Nuclear Power Plant.

But this does not depend just on the governments or the big companies.

I believe that it also depends on each of us.  
We have to change our life styles.


I believe that petroleum will be gone.
I believe that the nuclear power plant is never safe.
And it just takes too much of money, energy, and time to find other sources of energy.
If we keep on using and wasting the energy, it will still be causing problems no matter what kind of natural resources we use.

We need electricity.
Let's leave it for something that is really necessary.
We can use less electricity or energy to live our lives.
We can use our bodies and our brains to find alternatives.
The things will go slower obviously.
But what's the problem?
That's the way it goes.  That's how fast we can go.  

We can do something.  
Each of us can do something wherever we are.
We should not use something that is out of our hands. 

We should live as humans.  
Let's not forget 311.


No comments:

Post a Comment